Formed in 1923 the initial layout consisted of 3 holes cut on the west side of the course using what is now the 7 th , 8 th and the old 16 th . Later that year a further 3 holes were developed on the north side of the main drive. The club then engaged the services of Mr J S Fernie (the professional at Ryton G.C.) to further develop the course into an 18-hole course measuring 4995 yards. On April 26 th 1924 Major Sir Clive Morrison-Bell officially opened the course and clubhouse.
To mark the event Sir Clive presented the club with a silver challenge trophy, The Sir Clive Morrison-Bell Trophy, a copy of a claret jug plundered off the Northumberland coast from the escaping Spanish Armada, and is still played for today.
In the latter part of 1925, Dr Alister MacKenzie was appointed to re-design the course. Dr. MacKenzie only agreed to take the commission if he could re-design the west part of the course. This was agreed and gorse and heather were removed to create new fairways, greens and tees.
MacKenzie's creation is still the basis for the present day course.